Aston Martin DB4 (series 2)





Aston Martin DB4 (series 2)

Year of production 1960 - 1961

Model: DB4 (1958 - 1963)

Wikipedia (DB4): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aston_Martin_DB4

(1960 - 1961)

The Series 2 DB4 followed on from the Series 1 in January 1960 and used chassis numbers DB4/251/L through to DB4/600/R. It has to be said that the Series 2 gained many significant improvements from the early car clearly based on the 'patchy' experience of the early customers who in effect had thoroughly tested the DB4.

Whilst there were many minor modifications on the series 2, many of these were under the skin. Maybe the only easy way so separate a Series 1 from a Series 2 is the adoption of opening rear quarter lights made with flat glass rather than curved. Also if a DB4 Series 2 is displayed with the bonnet up, it is clear that it is hinges from the front, a feature that was used right through to the end of production of derivatives of the Virage in 2000. The risk of a front opening bonnet is that if the catch was to fail, the bonnet could fly up at speed and obscure the drivers view of the road. The series 2 car also was fitted with uprated front brake callipers.

In order to aid vital engine cooling the sump was enlarged from 14 to 17 pints and the oil pump was also uprated. The much needed oil cooler was only an optional extra (indicated by a scoop under the front bumper) and was only fitted to a small number of cars at the time, although many have had them retrofitted more recently. Other options offered was overdrive and electric windows. Both Series 1 and 2 cars were fitted with the same rear Lucas light clusters as the DB Mark 3. These originated from the Humber Hawk but were also used on the Alvis TD21 and some special bodied Rolls Royce and Bentley motor cars. For some reason, this design are sometimes known as cathedral rear lights.

In total 349 of the Series 2 DB4 were built until the Series 3 was introduced in April 1961.

Aston Martin DB4 Series II Coupé (1960 – November) 

Chassis No: DB4 /415/R   One of only 349 produced

The Aston Martin DB4, unveiled at the 1958 Paris Salon, was state-of-the-art for its time. A unique masterpiece of robust British engineering combined with exquisite Italian styling designed by Touring of Milan. The series II was launched in January 1960. The sleek body utilised Carrozzeria Touring’s famed Superleggera (super light) structure, a skeleton of small-diameter steel tubing covered by hand-formed aluminium body panels and all round glazed vision. This design enabled the DB4 to achieve a lightweight elegance that was particularly handsome on the DB4s shorter 98-inch wheelbase before the later DB models became larger and heavier.

It used the powerful new aluminium twin overhead camshaft 3.7 litre straight-six engine that had just been developed for the DBR2 setting a new sports car lap record at Silverstone. Achieving 240bhp at 5500rpm as advertised, the DB4 with its all new lightweight body achieved speeds of 140mph. To world acclaim, the DB4 was officially tested ‘to accelerate from 0-100mph and decelerate from 100 mph to rest’ – in an incredible time of just 26.2 seconds. Whilst there were many minor modifications on the series II, many of these were under the skin. Maybe the only easy way so separates a Series I from a Series II is the adoption of opening rear quarter lights made with flat glass rather than curved.

The DB4 has long been regarded by Aston enthusiasts as the purist example, with its exquisite proportions and nimble handling. Of all its five incarnations, the Series II, combining ‘cathedral’ rear lights, ‘egg crate’ front grille and deep bonnet scoop, with the successful resolution of the issues such as oil cooling, experienced on the earlier cars, is the most sought after model of the range. Supplied new on the 11th November 1960 via Raymond Ways Motors, London W1 to Mr J.R Bateman of South Nutfield, Surrey. Documents presented in the Aston Martins historical chassis file show only four further keepers until purchased by the last owner in 2011.

According to its accompanying Aston Martin Ltd (AML) Build Sheet and Service Records, this particular Series II example – chassis number DB4/415/R – was supplied new via Raymond Mays to Rowland Hunt Esq. of Aswardby Hall, Spilsby on November 11th 1960. Acquired by watchmaker Bentima Co Ltd of 168 Old St, EC1 the following April, a copy continuation logbook on file shows that ownership later transferred to James Mario Elliot of Carlisle Place, SW1, Brenda Diane Making, Anthony Elliott and C. Benge (interestingly, the latter three all quoted 28 Carlingford Road, Morden, Surrey as their address).

The same document also reveals that the DB4 was upgraded with a later series powerplant during the 1960s (engine number 370/894 supplanting 370/487). Early DB4 engines were prone to failure hence the reason that Aston Martin added an oil cooler to its specification as the model evolved. Part of a private European collection from the late 1980s through till 2014 when it entered its current custodianship. Chassis DB4/415/R has since been substantially improved.

Treated to a ‘top-end’ engine overhaul including replacement big valve cylinder head by Motronic Automotive Services of Iver at a cost of some £9,411.47, the four-seater was subsequently dispatched to marque specialist Chicane Classics for over £30,000 worth of attention to its steering, brakes, front / rear suspension, exhaust and tyres etc. Cosmetically enhanced via a respray in the correct period colour option of Californian Sage Metallic. The Aston Martin has covered some 500 post-fettling miles. Trimmed in Black leather as per its build specification and reunited with its original registration number ‘SCT 415’, this rare Aston Martin DB4 Series II is offered for sale with its copy build record, copy continuation logbook and the aforementioned restoration invoices.

Without doubt a unique opportunity to acquire a rare and highly sought after Aston Martin presented in near concours condition and with superb provenance. This DB4 has been painstakingly and sympathetically restored over a period of time and must now be one of the finest examples of its type to come to market in recent times and is offered for sale by Hexagon Classics as sole owner and not a brokerage offer.

Classifieds / Advertisement Insert new advert

Photo gallery Aston Martin DB4 (series 2)

1960 Aston Martin DB4 (series 2)
1280 x 853 ... 126 KB
2016-07-21  Matrix
1960 Aston Martin DB4 (series 2)
1280 x 853 ... 116 KB
2016-07-21  Matrix
1960 Aston Martin DB4 (series 2)
1280 x 853 ... 84 KB
2016-07-21  Matrix
1960 Aston Martin DB4 (series 2)
1280 x 853 ... 119 KB
2016-07-21  Matrix

Manuals Aston Martin DB4 (series 2)  |  DB4 Upload new manual

Data sheets and catalogues (1) Add

Year Document Language Size Pages
1959 db4b.pdf English 509 KB 4

Our vehicles Add a vehicle