Aston Martin Coal Scuttle




Aston Martin Coal Scuttle

Year of production 1914 - 1914

Category: Pre War era

The company, Bamford and Martin Ltd was incorporated in 1913 to formalise a partnership between Lionel Martin and Robert Bamford. They had been modifying and selling Singer cars from their workshops at 16 Henniker Place, Callow St, Kensington, London. Together, they made a decision to design and build a whole car of their own.

The very first Aston-Martin car was known as Coal Scuttle due to it's resemblance to what would have been a common item in most households at the time. It was registered in 1915 with the number AM4656 and remained the only Aston Martin in existance until a second car was finished in about 1920 due to the Great War getting in the middle of things. Thank goodness they build them a little faster now.

The car was a 2 seater with a sporting body which it is believed carried the chassis number A1. The engine was a 1389cc 4 cylinder side value and was built for Bamford and Martin by the Coventry Simplex company.

Sadly it was last registered for the road in 1928 and has not been seen since. It is thus presumed that the car has been lost forever.

Forum Tech corner New topic

Classifieds / Advertisement Insert new advert

Photo gallery Aston Martin Coal Scuttle

1921 Aston Martin Coal Scuttle
1280 x 960 ... 188 KB
2016-06-03  Matrix
1914 Aston Martin Coal Scuttle
1136 x 588 ... 66 KB
2014-03-05  Matrix
1914 Aston Martin Coal Scuttle
1280 x 960 ... 59 KB
2014-03-05  Matrix


Our vehicles Add a vehicle